Monday, January 9, 2012

Robocop vs. the Terminator #1



More like "a naked woman without a name" versus ED-209, but hey, it IS only the first issue.



135 comments:

Turkish Proverb said...

It is strange you never learn her name, I'll admit that.

And why do I get the feeling the out of focus shot has to do with our blue friend?

Dan said...

Ha! Very funny. First comment.

E. Wilson said...

Honestly, I actually really like the reversal of expectations regarding their impending conflict. The Terminators are actually trying to protect Robocop, which certainly wasn't where I thought this idea was going.

I also think Terminator vs. Robocop works on a conceptual level far better than "Aliens vs. Predators" and "Freddy vs. Jason", although the latter was still a pretty good film.

Anonymous said...

Say, I know this is way a ways off from topic but, how come in the Planet of the Symbiotes review you could sometimes see a clip of Cheryl from Silent Hill in the glitches.

I've always wondered that.

Lundarigirl said...

I think that wedding joke qualifies for next year's top 15 jokes countdown. In fact, a lot of your jokes in thi episode crack me up. Nice job, Linkara

The Reviewer said...

Yes i love watching linkara

not super fan but his videos are fun to watch, seriously frank where's your mind been heading since 300.

Mecha-Gino said...

What? No mentioning of James Cameron Plagiarizing the outer limits in order to make the terminator franchise? For Shame... Unless I missed that part of the video.

August M. said...

This is one reason I could enjoy comics more than movies, we get awesome crossovers that people demand to see in the big screen but never get made. Great review and I hope you had a fun time in Magfest.

Freyaday said...

Another particularly funny episode! You seem to be getting your groove back, Linkara! *hopes for more dancing* Although there weren't as many laugh-out-loud moments in this one as the last one, I still find this just as funny. Also, I really enjoyed the marriage joke. Here's hoping for more (possibly absurd) jokes, more dancing, and more fire.
I feel linke I need some sort of closing line here, but whatever.

CaptainCalvinCat said...

Hey, great review - I hope you had fun at magfest?

And I think, the woman is named "Calamity", might that be?

by the way, I liked the Battlestar-Style narration for Terminator, the cool-aid-robocop-joke and the one about the detroit pitchers. Extremely well done. ^^

Greets

Cal

MintWhelp said...

I know how Robocop became the source of them Terminators! Murphy's mind was uploaded to Skynet, then he went mad for being unable to do anything much of... well, anything, kinda like AM from "I have no Mouth and I must Scream". And thus, Terminators where born.

...Yeah I got nuthin'.

Tyler said...

From what wikipedia says, Miller has done at least one or two Sin City books when this comic came out. So it's possible that Frank haddn't quite switched over to that mind set. Plus I think it helps that there isn't Batman to glorify in this.
This does sound like a good comic and I am interested with how it ends, a major contrast to ASBAR; Is it possible that Miller in his later works is just allowed too much freedom for the the books he writes? Someone to say stop writing Crazy Steve and start writing Batman. Just a collaborative effort with others could be the difference maker when it comes to good and bad comics.

Jer Alford said...

So...it's okay for OTHER people to curse in your reviews? (Just asking.)

Anonymous said...

Robocop and no 'I'd buy that for a dollar' joke?

For shame.

Anonymous said...

How much does it take for you to realize that I can watch your stupid show.

The comic where we first met, you miserable bag of flesh.

I will first take everything from you, Linkara, and when you beg for it to all end, you will die by my hand.

Death, by the superior being.

Trekker4747 said...

I dunno, Lewis. I think the art in this comic isn't great and borders on Liefeldism. But the comic itself doesn't look like its too bad but seems to be in Miller's transition period to insanity.

Ozaline said...

There was a panel in there that said "spartans are pretty tough" and no 300 joke?

I think I read this comic way back (the first issue) but I remember the story more from the Super NES video game adaptation of this story.


I have to say that I think it holds up well, especially knowing how Robocop brings about Skynet, it makes sense for comic logic, have you read the rest of the series or just this issue.

Anyway it was fun you found a lot of good joke spots.

SchweitzerMan said...

Great episode. While I do love watching you rip apart Frank Miller's crap, I'd love to see more of his work that shows he wasn't ALWAYS crazy. I've got Batman: Year One and I love it.

I do agree with you that Miller seems to forget to show and not tell. He kept mentioning the Batcave in Year One but we never saw it.

Anyway, great job. Can't wait for the Top 15 list about Identity Crisis

The Exiled One said...

And now, as a special CBUB treat, I'm gonna actually comment who would win this fight. So, let's get started:

-first of all, despite Linkara said, Robocop has the weapons advantage. You have to remember that Terminators time-travel naked, so the only weapons the Terminator would have are the ones available in Robocop's time, which are proven to be useless against Robocop. HOWEVER, the weapons of Robocop's time are advanced enough to defeat the Terminator

-given that this is an evil Terminator, he's alone in this fight. On the other hand, Robocop has his faithful sidekick, Officer Anne Lewis, at his side.

-in the Robocop cartoon show, Robocop dealt with a variety of different situations, giving him the experience edge over the Terminator

-Robocop has his badass cop car, the ROBO-1, while the Terminator has a Harley motorbike.

-Robocop would have the full backing of the Germans (raizumichin, Tulse Luper, legato and Herr Wozzeck), as well as CapitalRadioTwo and his friends, due to the fact that many people choose to see social commentary in his movie. The Terminator, coming from a blockbuster action movie, only has LoneWolf on his side.

-Robocop's sequels are actyally very enjoyable guilty pleasures. On the other hand, "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" is a disaster that should have never been made, and "Terminator Salvation" was doomed from the start.

-Robocop was the star of his cartoon show. Where the hell was the T-800 in "The Sarah Connor Chronicles"? I say that, after being replaced by that doe-eyed bitch from an (ugh) Joss Whedon show, the Terminator's confidence must be at an all-time low.

-On the other hand, the fact that the Robocop remake won't get made will bolster Robocop's confidence enormously.

-Robocop is probably smart enough to bring the fight to a foundry

-Remember that Robocop appeared in a WWF/WWE match, so he can call the likes of Stone Cold Steve Austin, Chris Benoit or Kane to defeat the Terminator.

-The final nail on the coffin for the Terminator is his humiliating appearances on "Alejo y Valentina"

FINAL VEREDICT: Robocop blasts the Terminator apart.

Anonymous said...

This is fucking awful and I can subject myself to no more.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

You pick up the comic before you read it, next time read first and call for a Miller Time later if you really think there is anything awful about it.

Miller was, is and always will be AWESOME despite any minor inconveniences and lack of better judgement, you made me laugh but you barely get your team in the field, barely take over the ball, barely get closer to the line of touchdown, your nose barely get the fine stench of the grass.

Go back to the shower kid and maybe you get yourself back for the game in issue #2 if the game is not lost already after the first quarter.

You made the Minnesota Vikings cry, Miller Bay Packers Rules !

End Credits Bon Jovi - You Give Love A Bad Name

P.S.: what should i say ? Worst Miller Time Ever and not because i am a Miller fan, NO, the problem was the lack of Linkara this time.

I blame Lewis Lovhaug on that, stop abuse yourself young man and get a more humane time schedule, you get 2 of 5 stars on that review and that's generous.

Anyone else could have said the same words and lines and the result would be the same and i guess you are probably losing your touch. Did the wheel get dry already ?

P.S. End Credits Elvis vs JXL - A Little Less Conversation ft. Elvis Presley

P.S.P.S.: Wake up Linkara, your creator, director, writer and producer is trying to ruined your show, please, your presence of character is our only hope.

And what a hell happen with the storyline at the end of the review ? Where is search for Pollo or like i advertised once : COUNTDOWN TO FINAL POLLO ???

rdfox said...

Great stuff this week! You proved quite well that you can work just as well with a book that's merely adequate rather than actively bad! (Though the fact that this was a mini does mean that teasing the fight in the first issue wasn't a bad idea.)

And to head off the people who'll complain, the girl stripped before using the time machine because it was established in the very first Terminator movie that clothing can't be transported through time with people. So the nudity was no more gratuitous than Ahnold's bare ass in the original...

Jarkes said...

Interestingly enough, Frank Miller wrote the original scripts for both Robocop 2 AND Robocop 3, but they were heavily meddled with by the executives. The unused screenplay of 2 and notes from the unused screenplay for 3 were later used for a nine issue series entitled "Frank Miller's Robocop", published by Avatar Press from 2003-2006. Ironically, Miller actually didn't write the comic himself, and some people actually found the comic to be worse than the finished film (which ended up having a completely different plot, the specifics of which I do not wish to go into).

Jesse said...

Why stop here? Why not have Ed 209 and the robot with the human brain and "nuke" from the second Robocop movie fight the T-1000 and the female terminator form the 3rd Terminator movie?

Turn it into a giant turf, robot war.

BooRat said...

AWWWWWWESOOOOOOOOME!!! I've been waiting a week for this to come out! I wasn't sure if you'd managed to get it out this week with that Magfest thing going on and all! :D

I'm actually glad to see you like it! I enjoyed it but it does get weird in later issues! Like when the Terminators forcefully make RoboCop into the Skynet master computer! And, years into the future Murphy's mind regain enough control to rebuild himself a body and it's pretty cool looking with a mix of Terminator tech and RoboCop's classic look! It's a lot like his RoboCop 3 look with all the guns and a jetpack!

I've seen a lot of Terminator Vs RoboCop video mash-ups on youtube where threw tricky editing they have them having a shoot out! There a really good one with Neo from the Matrix involved!

I actually liked Terminator the Series (Sarah Conner Chronicles) for what little of it I got to see before it was canned!

I still say if you could get a copy of the Trade of this book you'd love it! It's like a freaking activity book because it comes with cutout cardboard pop-ups of each of the main characters!

I don't think in the book the woman is ever actually named as she dies and is brought back a couple times!

Well, on the subject of the other RoboCop movies I personally liked the 2nd movie because the idea of RoboCop fighting another more advanced and bigger cyborg was a great and interesting and next logical step. It get's bashed a lot because they abandoned the more comical social commentary for the most part. The 3rd movie is... ok! I don't really like it because the tone is completely different and I don't think any of the original cast are back! The main background villain is gone but I think the actor died so... yeah. The one good part was ninja robots from Japan but they weren't in it enough! Also they did the whole orphan computer genius thing and she was annoying! And a lot of the plot points were the same from the other movies with them screwing with RoboCop's mind or program! I've not seen the made for TV movies to give an opinion!

John C said...

Heh no one has posted a comment yet because we are all to stunned from when you didn't say "this comic sucks"

areoborg said...

I don't know. I think that everyone having a gun, and is willing to pull it out and aim it at a random person for no reason whatsoever is crazier than naked chicks appearing out of nowhere.

Though I would much prefer the latter happening. :)

Good neighborhoods are were people just carry semi-automatics.

I don't know. I was looking at the shots of Robocop blowing away that goon, and I was thinking that he had set the poor guy on fire.

Melissia said...

Robocop versus Terminator had such potential too! I mean come on, I want cybernetic duelling somehow!

Anonymous said...

No mention of how Frank Miller wrote the screenplay for Robocop 2 and 3?

popeyedboy said...

Obviously this is hypothetical and you could argue over this for years (like Star Trek vs. Star Wars ships) but I just can't see Robo-cop ever having a chance. From what we saw of the first Terminator and the TV Terminator they're simply on a whole other level.

From the start of the comic, this woman just casually shoots apart a TERMINATOR. These are the same things that inspire terror in all of humanity.

Psychotime said...

Wow, a Miller Time that ended on a positive note. Never thought I'd see that happen.

Anonymous said...

From Miller Time, I was expecting the usual stuff, but then, it's his early work. I didn't get to use my own drinking game, which is to take a shot whenever a woman's hips sway to the side when they shouldn't.

harmonicajay said...

good episode. I think my favorite joke was the "reading the rights to the dead" bit. I was surprised by this. I am genuinely interested in reading something by Frank Miller. I never thought I would say that.

Anonymous said...

So, Robo-Kool-Aid Man's line would've been what Mechakara would've said when he was supposed to bust through your wall back in Power Rangers Zeo#1.

Thanks for clarifing Linkara

Also, speaking of Power Rangers, take all the time you need on HOPR, you deserved it with this episode.

Seriously, this is your Funniest episode yet. Great start for the New Year!

Anonymous said...

I just had to ask, did you ever read Superman vs. Alien?

_JM_ said...

Yay! A comic I read. Boo! Hard to know what to say that wouldn’t be revealing the events of the other three issues. Booooooooooo! I bought it almost 20 years ago and now I feel (expletive) old.

Timeline goes back and forth a few times. But yeah, Robocop does fight Terminators. A narrow win, a devastating loss, and then a “holy ****balls, mass produced?” battle. Nice splash page in one issue showing Terminator Starships flying off to cleanse the rest of the universe, which made me wonder about Borg vs Terminator (“You have flesh, you are inferior” vs “You destroy rather than assimilate and learn, you are inferior”).

Anonymous said...

I wanted this review for a while!
also the art was odd I thought it was very off and on depending witch panel

Andrew said...

Hell yeah! Robocop is too bad-ass to look at explosions.

SuperDuck/ The Red Hat Guy said...

So glad I got to see this LIVE at MAGFest. Had an awesome time meeting you again!

Sijo said...

Yeah, once upon a time, Frank Miller wrote GOOD stories. I remember them. Nice of you to do this review, Link.

Oh and Simonson's art was pretty good too. I assume you will review the rest of this series later. Looking up for it.

But most of all, waiting for the Identity Crisis review. GOD I HATE THAT COMIC. Not just the comic itself, but its legacy of "Hey, it's OK to be gross and fatalistic in the DC universe now!" that lasts to this day. PLEASE tear it to bits, Lewis.

Xel Unknown said...

Awesome review. Just awesome. Wish there had been some storyline plot in there too. Given how Mechakkra started from teh last Terminator comic you've reviewed if I'm not mistaken. But even without that. I enjoyed it and I've got high hopes for your next lovely episode.

David 2 said...

Nice review.

I probably should point out that Frank Miller wrote the screenplay to Robocop 2 and 3 and did this series in between the two movies. That probably explains why he was fixated on nukes and "Terminator"-looking "ninjas" in Robocop 3.

FieryVulpine said...

Terminating androids? That's crazy talk!

FugueforFrog said...

Have to say: if you do a "best of AT4W jokes" episode again, I definitely would want to throw in the part about "Skynet blows up the world because of the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies"...that really got me good.

Funny you didn't mention the time the Terminator fought Superman considering that was a previous encounter with him on this show, but hey the Robocop stuff was fun, even if...Miller-talk was starting to take over from how I saw the narration. It isn't up to the nightmare levels of "All Star Batman and Robin"/"The Dark Knight STrikes Again", but the way the bolding occurred it definitely showed Miller was starting down a road to ruin but was being restrained. And...yeah, the weird butterfly effect of trees randomly popping up destroying Skynet was...well, I still believe in the whole "millions of possible futures but only one linear past...until it's changed via time travel to another path" concept so seeing the future randomly change like that was just strange.

Crayons said...

Any plans to review the next issue. I want to know what happens next but I think I'd rather have you explain it.

I'm off to read Sound of Thunder now...

Vyracon said...

Concerning the issue with the narrator, i always thought that the the entire narration was ment to be read in Alex Murphy's voice, considering how essential he is to the plot, showing the struggle between the robotic and human parts of his character.

Also, if you haven't watched the second and third Robocop movies - don't do it. They screw the franchise big time. Although, interestingly, the second movie was based on a script by Miller himself - and it shows, oh boy does it show.

And while we're at it, Millers "Robocop" Comic, if you haven't read it yet, is based on his original script of the second movie, and it's quite disturbing how he reimagines the universe, this being post-sin city Miller and all.

Anyway, a great review to a great comic, as far as i'm concerned. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Nice review.
Just curious do you plan on doing the other three comics in future or are you gonna do some real bad Miller stuff?
P.S you should watch Robocop 2 I reckon it's pretty good, 3 not as much.

Anonymous said...

Oh and I think Frank Miller is in Robocop 2.

Anonymous said...

He wrote the scripts for Robocop 2 & 3.

wEREwOLF said...

Interesting idea, though why not let it be what people want a giant fight why make Robocop responsible?

RJHammer said...

I'm reminded of recent Robocop vs Terminator comic from Dynamite that ends with Robocop killing John Connor. Then the battleship they were in sinks to the bottom of the ocean. Boy franks looks like a genisus in comparison to the ending. Rest of the series wasn't to bad. To this series was pretty good but I haven't read it in years.
Holy terror. Oh boy. I know you are going to get to but I haven't read have heard it's really bad. No wonder DC wanted nothing to do with it.
I hope you had fun magfest.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this one looks like a fun one. I imagine the rest of it fills in some details missed in this one, though.

Fiery Little One

Ming said...

I think I read this comic once. It wasn't that bad, compared to oh say Dark Knight Strikes Again and Holy Terror.

I hope you get to do the other issues of Robocop vs. the Terminator (and of course, Holy Terror).

Say, have you read Avatar Press's Robocop comic (based on Miller's original screenplay for Robocop 2) and Dynamite's Robocop comics?

The Physicist said...

Nice review, and good to see you doing something that is not complete crap. I am now curious to see how the rest of it goes.

One thing, though: please, for all that is holy, stop reading the comics with the incorrect bolds and italics emphasized. The joke was funny at first, since all the companies are really bad about this, but it long ago passed quirky and has now reached 'please shoot me' levels of annoying having you read every other sentence like this. We get the point; please stop now.

musichistorygeek said...

If you are ever in Wisconsin, you should check out UW-Milwaukee's Archives and Special Collections Division, which did an exhibit on Frank Miller a couple of years ago (for some reason) and has a number of his works in their comics collection.

Xenoth said...

I have the super Nintendo game version of this. Also, Linkara, your reading miranda to a corpse!

Chroniklor said...

...Um... this city is very nonchalant about a naked woman appearing in the middle of the road... I'm guessing this sort of thing is all too common in this year of the past...

The bits with ED-209 are hilarious. Say what you will about them but I'm wondering if Frank meant them to be intentionally funny.

Great review as always, Linkara.

TheDarkEricDraven said...

Ah, 90s bliss! Good episode, Lewis.

Anonymous said...

Raspberry?

Only one man would DARE give ME the raspberry: Arnold!

Anonymous said...

Linkara, you have inspired me to create my own blog. I know you're a busy man, but if you can take time out and give it a look, I'd appreciate it:
http://thecultranch.blogspot.com/

Ben said...

Is this the first F-bomb in an Atop the 4th Wall episode that wasn't a crossover?

quietm4n said...

great review as usual you still have great comedic timing weather the comic sucks or is decent. I gotta I thought the book was going to be more like a Terminator gets sent back to Robocop's Detroit to kill someone Robocop has to stop him. Since Miller wrote Robocop but I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't are you planning on reviewing the rest? If not I'll have to pick up a trade if one exists. Man I hope you find Pollo soon CamBot's auto-focus hates when you leave lol. Can't wait to see how the New Guardians top Snowflame. who I might add is clearly the Rockso the rock and roll clown of the main earth I'm thinking Dethklok is on earth 42 the most brutal earth

Sailor_sega said...

In Robocop 2 Robocop reads the Miranda rights to some-one he's shot dead and you use the same joke without actually having seen the movie. That's rad! I guess great minds really do think alike.

Lewis Lovhaug said...

"So...it's okay for OTHER people to curse in your reviews? (Just asking.)"

Pretty much, yeah.

Ozaline said...

Well at least we can say one thing about the woman in this comic she didn't have a name but she wasn't a prostitute or overly sexualized... So for Frankie-boy that's a step up.


I think not naming her works for the story though, she's supposed to represent all of humanity (I'd think), since they say she's the very last soldier. The mission and the emotions are more important then the individual person.

boooratt said...

"Why stop here? Why not have Ed 209 and the robot with the human brain and "nuke" from the second Robocop movie fight the T-1000 and the female terminator form the 3rd Terminator movie?"

You mean Cain aka RoboCop II!

PS: most like to think part 3 didn't happen so the TX1000 isn't canon...
maybe in a few years maybe Cameron will get bored and pull a Ridley Scott and go back and make a proper sequel o his movie!

Mason Trowel said...

At the time of my writing this comment, I can find no other comment describing in detail the "HOW" of Robocop triggering the apocalypse. That being said, I will now at least outline what I can recall from the "Robocop vs. Terminator" video games, since they possessed the same concept and I suspect one of these works (the games or the comic) draws from the other in some way.

Robocop possesses a computer jack in the shape of a retractable spike in one of his hands. Using this jack, he can interact with almost any computer in the world of "Robocop" (future dystopian Detroit). At one point during his duties, Robocop is involved in a case that results in his interaction with the military database that houses the advanced AI known as Skynet. Skynet comes into contact with Alex Murphy's mortal consciousness through the jack, an interaction with an organic, sapient mind that could not be replicated with an artificial intelligence. This leaves an imprint of sorts on Skynet, resulting in a chain of thought processes that eventually culminate in its gaining self-awareness.

While it may not be the most satisfactory kind of answer, and my memory is a bit fuzzy on the subject, perhaps this will at least satiate a portion of your desire for answers.

On another note, great review. I personally enjoyed that you went into this review blind, and I honestly like seeing a Miller work turn out pleasantly surprising (as opposed to the typical mind-numbing schlock that we tend to see here from his later years).

Hope to see more from you soon, and I hope my comment was helpful! ^_^

Ozaline said...

Okay I stand corrected because the SNES game actually provides a name for the woman in question...

she's named FLO, here's a video of the opening to the SNES game (which follows the comic directly for the start, I understand it veers off a bit from the third issue).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiVWE9ll45A#t=00m24s

Shanethefilmmaker said...

That was a great review. One other example of Frank's hit or miss style of reception would be the two Robocop sequels as well since Miller wrote the screenplay for them. Robocop 2 while not good compared to the first at least had a decent story, great action and the downward spiral of OCP's reputation and even showed a great idea of what would happen if the same power was given to the villain. Whilst Robocop 3 had.....robot samurais with creepy smiles. Now that would sound like a good villain team in anime, but in this case....on the plus side 90s kid would love the machinegun/flamethrower/bazooka arm.

The Exiled One said...

"Why stop here? Why not have Ed 209 and the robot with the human brain and "nuke" from the second Robocop movie fight the T-1000 and the female terminator form the 3rd Terminator movie?"

The Terminatrix uses her power over machines to take control of them.

Fight over,

Dave said...

In honor of the strange bowl haircut, I hereby dub unknown naked woman...

Gal Gardner!

The Exiled One said...

"I don't know. I think that everyone having a gun, and is willing to pull it out and aim it at a random person for no reason whatsoever is crazier than naked chicks appearing out of nowhere."


That's the trademark "social commentary" that is part of Robocop's universe.

Rasmus Wichmann said...

Hi there! I have to admit, your Robocop voice was spot-on.
Since we basically have a terminator-like villain in the series (Mechakara), it would be awesome to have a reviewer be rebuilt as a cyborg. We just have to wait for some poor chump to volunteer...

Unknown said...

Linkara, now you're just taking Pot shots about Millers both as a person and as a writer, and that isn't winning you fans.

Starting off with "good work before he was a crazy person or I disagree with peoples opinion" makes you sound very opinionated and obnoxious more so then if the Cinemasnob's opinions were actually brad's true opinions. Which I get you have a dislike for Miller, but that's taking pot shots in a professional setting and not being, well...professional even if your profession is comedy.

Another example about pot shots the whole entire ass shot thing when 3 pages we get a pretty finely detailed(and in my opinion very well drawn) ass shot,though it was focusing on more then her ass, after you said the artist was above that, is again, obnoxious as you are saying that as if miller ask that in every one of his stories(which then It'd be a funny joke).

I get you have a hate-on for miller but if this is what your reviews are going to devolve into(pot shots on things not even in the comic or even something the creative team NORMALLY does) especially when the comic isn't that bad in your own opinion, I might actually have to stop coming to the 4th wall, because I won't feel very welcomed.

TL;DR version- it wasn't funny when he drew on things that Miller doesn't do regularly like they're Miller's Signature. His opinion of Miller is his opinion but I feel like he's using too much that it's coming off more like a boring rant.

CaptainCalvinCat said...

The exiled one: I actually liked Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles, and even more so, because of the lack of Arnold Schwarzenegger in it. I simply loved the portrayal of the female Terminator by Summer Glau - okay, critiques might say, that she only has one facial expression, but that didn't stop David Hasselhoff from making four seasons of Knight Rider, right?

@ Captain Sake:
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but... shhhhht.
I find it rather refreshing and enjoyable, that Lewis said, "I'm gonna review a comic-book" without having read it, beforehand.
So - yeah - it was a good comic.
I was surprised, too, because it was not that crap, I come to love from Frank Miller.
Like I already said: I like "The Spirit", but only as a work of parody, not as seriously-meant movie. But maybe Miller wants to parody the whole comic-book-genre. ^^

Greets

Cal

SAICAMFILMS said...

Hilarious, never heard of this till now, I really liked this comic. As always great episode

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

@Lewis

It's hard when you follow the consensus and there is no dissonanting voice to rely on.

Linkara praising Miller works at Miller Time is probably one of the first sign of apocalypse.

December 21, 2012 here we go.

End Credits R.E.M. - It's The End Of The World

P.S.: Linkara shall return at the critic acclaimed conclusion of :

"COUNTDOWN TO FINAL POLLO !"...the end is near and its not what you expected.

Captain Sake shall return.... eventually.

Jarkes said...

"I say that, after being replaced by that doe-eyed bitch from an (ugh) Joss Whedon show, the Terminator's confidence must be at an all-time low."

Screw you! Joss Whedon is awesome! ...Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't make Sarah Connor Chronicles. Also, it should be "a", not "an".

ANImaniac said...

The fact that everyone is carrying guns on them bothered me at first till I remembered that Robocop is set in Detroit, Now it all makes sense.

great episode.

flabslapper said...

This might have been said before, but I read somewhere that between making The Dark Knight Strikes Again that 9/11 happened, and that's when Miller REALLY started to lose his mind, I mean, I'm no Miller expert, but was his stuff starting to get crappy before 2001, or did it get crappy after?

Lewis Lovhaug said...

"I'm off to read Sound of Thunder now..."

The joke won't make sense, then, since I'm referring to the MOVIE "A Sound of Thunder" rather than the short story that's actually good. ^_~

Anonymous said...

This is.... suprising. I´ve heard nothing but bad things about this, but that could be just people jumping to Miller hate bandwagon.

Looking forward your next video. And please. PLEASE, tell me you will talk about Wally´s bitching to Ollie. I am sorry, I don´t care how horrible what happened was, Ollie voted against it. HAwkman was there whole time, couldn´t Wally say something to him?

RanmaFan85 said...

"Anonymous said...
How much does it take for you to realize that I can watch your stupid show.

The comic where we first met, you miserable bag of flesh.

I will first take everything from you, Linkara, and when you beg for it to all end, you will die by my hand.

Death, by the superior being.

January 9, 2012 5:02 PM"

Is Mechakara STILL out there? Or is this a new threat?

Either way, awesome review, hope to see you revisit this mini-series.

terminator44 said...

YES! I always hoped that you would review this crossover someday.

Think you could do Aliens vs. Predator vs. The Terminator at some point? I heard it was actually terrible.

Anonymous said...

You know, now that you bring it up, I wonder why there never was a Matrix vs Terminator

those could very well take place in the same universe!

Happystickman said...

As a native of Detroit, I really wish this would happen in real life.

The Exiled One said...

"Obviously this is hypothetical and you could argue over this for years (like Star Trek vs. Star Wars ships) but I just can't see Robo-cop ever having a chance. From what we saw of the first Terminator and the TV Terminator they're simply on a whole other level."

He's "on a whole other level" because he travelled to the present and was attacked with present-day weapons.

It's been established that futuristic weapons can take down the Terminator.

And the "Robocop" movies do NOT take place in the present, they take place in the future (although, for this fight to work, we'll assume the war against Skynet takes place in the farther future). As such, in Robocop's time, there would be no shortage of futuristic weapons to take down the Terminator.

Match goes to Robocop.

P.S. I don't really hate "The Sarah Connor Chronicles", I think it's a very good show, but the fact that it doesn't have the T-800 as John's guardian IS a minus to the T-800.

The Exiled One said...

"which made me wonder about Borg vs Terminator (“You have flesh, you are inferior” vs “You destroy rather than assimilate and learn, you are inferior”)."

Eventually, the Borg would adapt to the Terminator's weaponry, giving them the win.

The Exiled One said...

"Hey, it's OK to be gross and fatalistic in the DC universe now!"

This was explained in one of the more recent comics featuring the Crime Syndicate.

During "JLA/Avengers", Krona fused the DC Universe and the Marvel Universe together, creating the "shared universe" where those DC/Marvel crossovers took place (Superman/Spider-Man, Batman/The Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man/Batman, Batman/Daredevil, Punisher/Batman, X-Men/Teen Titans and Batman/Captain America).

After the universes where separated, some of Marvel's inherent dark nature infected the DC Universe, and some of DC'S bright and cheerful nature infected the Marvel Universe.

For Marvel, this resulted in the Marvel Adventures line, Great Lake Avengers, Nextwave and most of Squirrel Girl's stories.

For DC, this resulted in Countdown, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Batman R.I.P., the "New Krypton" story arc, Cry For Justice and Rise of Arsenal.

This means that now, in the Marvel universe, "good" can win more easily. However, it means that, in the DC Universe, "evil" can win more easily.

Knowing this is what encourages the Crime Syndicate to try to take over DC Earth.

The Exiled One said...

"..Um... this city is very nonchalant about a naked woman appearing in the middle of the road... I'm guessing this sort of thing is all too common in this year of the past..."

Again: social commentary.

Just to save time, every time someone in the "Robocop" time is acting strange, chalk it up to the social commentary.

The Exiled One said...

"In Robocop 2 Robocop reads the Miranda rights to some-one he's shot dead and you use the same joke without actually having seen the movie. That's rad! I guess great minds really do think alike."

To be fair, Robocop's mind was reprogrammed by OCP to make him behave like the Tick at that time.

The Exiled One said...

"PS: most like to think part 3 didn't happen so the TX1000 isn't canon..."

Kate Brewster is in "Terminator Salvation". And they mention the military creating Skynet instead of Cyberdyne in that movie. So yes, "Terminator 3" IS canon, wether you like it or not.

The Exiled One said...

"Hi there! I have to admit, your Robocop voice was spot-on.
Since we basically have a terminator-like villain in the series (Mechakara), it would be awesome to have a reviewer be rebuilt as a cyborg. We just have to wait for some poor chump to volunteer..."

Ma-Ti. Just bring him back from the dead as a cyborg, just like the real Robocop.

CaptainCalvinCat said...

@ Jarkes
Screw you! Joss Whedon is awesome! ...Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't make Sarah Connor Chronicles. Also, it should be "a", not "an".

Well, I saw a few Episodes of Buffy and Angel, and - you are right, he is good.
And no, he didn't produce "Sarah Connor Chroniclies", but he produced "Firefly" - a show that I find extremely awesome (or "shiny" - as one would say in the 'verse of Firefly), and that was a show, where not only Richard Castles Nathan Fillion was introduced to me, but Inarra (who is played by Morena Baccarin, who played the evil daughter of Vala and Tomin in Stargate SG 1), Kaylee (played by Jewel Strait [ or so] - Jenniffer Keller from Stargate Atlantis) and Summer Glau (who is the terminatrix Cameron in Sarah Connor Chronicles). ^^
Oh, and I know Adam Baldwin from there - I later liked him in the Series "Chuck".

Greets

Cal

CaptainCalvinCat said...

@ Jarkes
Screw you! Joss Whedon is awesome! ...Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't make Sarah Connor Chronicles. Also, it should be "a", not "an".

Well, I saw a few Episodes of Buffy and Angel, and - you are right, he is good.
And no, he didn't produce "Sarah Connor Chroniclies", but he produced "Firefly" - a show that I find extremely awesome (or "shiny" - as one would say in the 'verse of Firefly), and that was a show, where not only Richard Castles Nathan Fillion was introduced to me, but Inarra (who is played by Morena Baccarin, who played the evil daughter of Vala and Tomin in Stargate SG 1), Kaylee (played by Jewel Strait [ or so] - Jenniffer Keller from Stargate Atlantis) and Summer Glau (who is the terminatrix Cameron in Sarah Connor Chronicles). ^^
Oh, and I know Adam Baldwin from there - I later liked him in the Series "Chuck".

Greets

Cal

CaptainCalvinCat said...

@ Jarkes
Screw you! Joss Whedon is awesome! ...Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't make Sarah Connor Chronicles. Also, it should be "a", not "an".

Well, I saw a few Episodes of Buffy and Angel, and - you are right, he is good.
And no, he didn't produce "Sarah Connor Chroniclies", but he produced "Firefly" - a show that I find extremely awesome (or "shiny" - as one would say in the 'verse of Firefly), and that was a show, where not only Richard Castles Nathan Fillion was introduced to me, but Inarra (who is played by Morena Baccarin, who played the evil daughter of Vala and Tomin in Stargate SG 1), Kaylee (played by Jewel Strait [ or so] - Jenniffer Keller from Stargate Atlantis) and Summer Glau (who is the terminatrix Cameron in Sarah Connor Chronicles). ^^
Oh, and I know Adam Baldwin from there - I later liked him in the Series "Chuck".

Greets

Cal

The Exiled One said...

"Screw you! Joss Whedon is awesome! ...Plus, I'm pretty sure he didn't make Sarah Connor Chronicles. Also, it should be "a", not "an"."

I meant that Summer Glau is a Joss Whedon reject, since her only other claim to fame is "Firefly".

And Whedon's style has been shamelessly imitated by other shows ("Heroes", "Lost", "Smallville", "Alias", "The 4400") so much that it basically killed action/sci-fi/fantasy live action TV as it ws before Whedon wrote "Buffy".

The chances of seeing a show like "Star Trek: The Original series", "Airwolf", "The A-Team", "Manimal", "The Greatest American Hero", "Knight Rider" or "MacGyver" are getting smaller and smaller with each passing years.

The only action/sci-fi/fantasy live action not aping Whedon's style currently is "Power Rangers", and that's only because Whedonization has yet to hit Japan.

Volvagia said...

Jarkes: BooRat didn't say or imply that Joss Whedon made The Sarah Connor Chronicles with his exact words, he just implied he thinks Joss Whedon has a terrible taste in actors (Summer Glau WAS on Firefly) and, also, it WAS techically right for him to use the "an" because "ugh" starts with U. We may disagree with him (Serenity and Dr. Horrible are AWESOME), but he should be allowed his opinion.

Laughing Hyena said...

"I'm off to read Sound of Thunder now..."

"The joke won't make sense, then, since I'm referring to the MOVIE "A Sound of Thunder" rather than the short story that's actually good. ^_~ "

As a fan of the story story and Ray Bradbury: Don't remind me of that abomination to the eyes!

I managed to catch it on the Sci-fi channel after it left quickly through the movie theaters. ARGH!

It was nothing like the story at all.
About as bad as the recent 3D Journey to the Center of the Earth movie.
"Why son, this was your grandfather's PSP in his time!" *Start playing Yo-yo for dumb 3D effect*
"Well, it turns out there's a cult that follows and believes everything Jules Verne wrote was TRUE!"
*I start slamming my head into a desk*

And is it just me or does every screen/TV adaptation of JttCotE ignore a good chuck of the first half of the book where they have to figure out the clues to get there first?

By the way, I can't believe no one has reviewed either movie yet that I can recall. I think the 3D JttCotE would be up Film Brain's alley.

I was also cracking up throughout this review too.

Anonymous said...

This is another comic review I've watched without seeing the movie or in this case movies. I enjoyed this review none the less.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

Dear CaptainCalvinCat

I missed good old Linkara, he was a real man you know ? That character had balls, now the reviews are more and more Lewish and less and less Linkarian, and did become something bureaucratic, predictable and dull.

@Lewis

Lewis Lovhaug you are not Linkara anymore, you succumb to peers pressure Sir and that's sad, you are getting older, more like Admiral Kirk and less like Captain Kirk.

I want Atop the Fourth Wall season one back, this season looks like something coming from an abusive producer's mind set, what happened man ???

back @CaptainCalvinCat

Should i dare betray my faith, my rules, my origins (if i have any) and stab my beloved hero in his back, should i crucify Miller and take my thirty pieces of silver to show the world how a hack must be really exposed and despise ? Could i dare review this comic as it should be ? As is expected to be but it wasn't ? ....Enough!!!

(add here funny accent, girly voice and drag costume) As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to like me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be funny again. No, nor any of my folks. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or torrents. As God is my witness, I'll never be funny again.(add ironical soundtrack after this on the respective iconic original scene) - Opening Season Credits Jimmy Cliff - I can see clearly now or a.k.a. This is an omen, i must became a Hack.

P.S.: who gives a damn ? this will never pass through approval process anyway, just like S.O.P.A.

End Credits Tina Turner "We don't Need Another Hero"

*post credits as narrated by Hobo Steve "Critics are a superstitious cowardly lot," Mangusto remarks, "so my disguise must be able to strike holy terror into their hearts. I must be a creature of the site, brownie, terrible..." As if responding to his desires, a bat suddenly flies through his Windows screen saver, inspiring Sake to take on the persona of Batman rip off number five thousand and something.

KingRockyIV said...

Am I the only one who caught the Brush Kalish shout-out? I almost feel bad for Linkara, he's probably seeing explosions in his sleep after watching so much Power Rangers.

Lewis Lovhaug said...

Exiled One, if you're making multiple responses to people, please try to keep them all in the same post.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

DEAR LORD MY COMMENT WAS APPROVED !!! And that means i have to do the review damn it.

Sorry Frank, that devilish Norwegian-American trick me with his Minnesotian mind tricks but don't worry, i promise to be ruthless like that hat has never be.

Now i need to buy my own hat and green futon. Green futon. Why'd it have to be a green futon ?

Cory of PRIVATE Corp said...

Man, I've got to hand over my nerd card.

Now I'm not fond of the Terminator movies (for the rational fear of the whole robot rebellion idea, but that's more likely with the first and second movie. Never really seen all of them, but I believe if I see the third and Salvation, things will be all right) and I haven't seen the Robocop movies (never really knew about them), but this really seems like a good idea for a crossover.

And good Lord was this MUCH better from last week's work! Now I know Marville have very little to go with it when it came to jokes (I did like those that are on your Funny page on TV Tropes), but here there's jokes a-plenty and I got my laugh's worth out of it. Thank you early Miller... though you really to write Frankie, even if this was one your early works.

OK, now I have yet to watch anything about Robocop outside of this, your impression of him is freaking awesome and funny! If there's one way to get someone to watch the movie, it's this and also I believe that you could make a good Robocop when it will be neccesary (and if someone makes you the outfit).

And I will accept one thing about SkyNet: At least it knows that the Alvin & the Chipmunks movies suck and that it's time to eliminate this civilization.

Oh and one final thing Lewis, I know you control your comments but why are you allowing Captain Sake's comments on your pages? After reading his rants, I'm getting rather angry at him about his whining... unless you have plans for him in the future.

Can't wait for your next video and your live show from MAGFest

Darkspeed said...

Great review, I also like it when you review a comic i happen to own. And I'm glad you didn't hate this one, since I have fond memories of it.

I'd like to defend the fact that the protagonist is not named, as I think it actually works reasonably well. Since she has no real interactions with anyone who would know her name (Skynet wouldn't care), the only way we could learn her name is if it were shoehorned into a preamble or narration.

Instead, we get this last human who has no need of a name, as there is no longer anyone else to call her it. Would it really have been a better story if at the the start it had said 'This womans name is Jane Callard'?

The lack of the name, and the distancing from human beings could be seen as a parallel to Robocop. Their humanity has been stripped away by the machines, leaving them somewhat less than human. Just my opinion of course, maybe I'm reading more into it than was intended.

Anyhow, once again, utterly fantastic episode, thank you! And I hope you cover the other issues at some point.

CaptainCalvinCat said...

@ Cory:
You wrote: “
Oh and one final thing Lewis, I know you control your comments but why are you allowing Captain Sake's comments on your pages? After reading his rants, I'm getting rather angry at him about his whining... unless you have plans for him in the future.”

*shrugs* My guess is as good as any ones, but I guess, either Sake has some valid points, or it is just for fun, or Lewis thinks: “The best thing to do with the ramblings of a madman is, to let him ramble and don`t care.”

@ Captain Sake:

You Wrote: “I missed good old Linkara, he was a real man you know ? That character had balls, now the reviews are more and more Lewish and less and less Linkarian, and did become something bureaucratic, predictable and dull.”

Erm… where exactly did you find that particular point?
You are quite contradictive (if that is a word. I mean you say one thing and do another.) You want to defend shitty comics, where Linkara had pointed out that they WERE bad. You said it yourself in the Marville Review.
You are always defending Miller, and now, where he actually found a comic that was GOOD for all intents and purposes, you are saying, that you miss the old Linkara?
I don`t think, I understand you – it is not the language-barrier, it is the logic, that I don`t get.

You wrote: “ Should i dare betray my faith, my rules, my origins (if i have any) and stab my beloved hero in his back, should i crucify Miller and take my thirty pieces of silver to show the world how a hack must be really exposed and despise ?”
No speaking clearly, without any over-the-top writing would improve our understanding for your logic. And frankly: Get over it – Linkara reviewed a Miller comic, that was okay. So what? Where is the problem?

@ The exiled one

The chances of seeing a show like "Star Trek: The Original series", "Airwolf", "The A-Team", "Manimal", "The Greatest American Hero", "Knight Rider" or "MacGyver" are getting smaller and smaller with each passing years.

Well, they did a new Knight Rider back in 2007 and tragically it bombed, which I found quite sad. I liked the show. But, I agree with you, we need more of those old-school shows.
In Germany, they had in the late ninetys an Airwolf-Ripoff, called “Helicops”, which was quite good. ^^ So, nearly 10 years after the original, the Germans got their rip-off. But what do you expect, from a country, that mostly writes mocumentary-daily-soaps (god I hate them), or the xth version of “Big Brother” or “I’m a celebrity, get me out of here”. *shudders*
Seriously – didn’t the world suffer enough? Do we need to send out c-celebrities, that they can chew la cucarachas? *shudders*

But – erm – back to Summer Glau… I find her quite attractive and she is a good actress.
And I liked Terminator: SCC (that’s how we called it, because the executives at the station, where the show aired, were afraid, that the audience would actually be dumb enough to confuse Sarah Connor - Mother of John Connor, the leader of the human resistance agains the cylons … erm… Skynet – with Sarah Connor, a singer. She exists, I am not making fun of the situation. ^^

Greets

Cal

boooratt said...

"Think you could do Aliens vs. Predator vs. The Terminator at some point? I heard it was actually terrible."

I've read that one too and it's... ok!? My only problem in it was the Alien Xenomorphs where's really in it all that much. They were basically a McGuffin being used by the Terminators. Also the biggest disappointing thing about it is on all the cover art and promo stuff for it's shown as having the classic T-800(Arnold)model Terminators in it but there's only one in the 1st comic and it is quickly and easily killed by the Predator. The Terminators in the book are a new model that look a lot more like Colossus from X-Men without their skin! The story is pretty cewl though it ties right into Aliens Resurrection with the Clone Ripley and the Genoid Cal!

babyhenchy said...

That scene with the birds actually reminds me of one of the deleted scenes from The Terminator, one which I really wish they hadn't deleted with Kyle closely looking at some flowers and finally breaking down for things he never had.

Also, I think I'm one of the few people who likes the first Terminator more than the second (which is still amazing). The first Terminator is arguably my all-time favorite sci-fi film. Maybe it was the noir and horror aspect mixed in.

The Exiled One said...

"I'd like to defend the fact that the protagonist is not named, as I think it actually works reasonably well. Since she has no real interactions with anyone who would know her name (Skynet wouldn't care), the only way we could learn her name is if it were shoehorned into a preamble or narration.

Instead, we get this last human who has no need of a name, as there is no longer anyone else to call her it. Would it really have been a better story if at the the start it had said 'This womans name is Jane Callard'?

The lack of the name, and the distancing from human beings could be seen as a parallel to Robocop. Their humanity has been stripped away by the machines, leaving them somewhat less than human. Just my opinion of course, maybe I'm reading more into it than was intended."

...eeeeeeeeeeeexcept we KNOW that her name is "Flo", so all of that doesn't work.

"But – erm – back to Summer Glau… I find her quite attractive and she is a good actress."

She isn't THAT hot. As for being a good actress, Joss Whedon tends to suck out all the talent from his "stars". Compare Sarah Michelle Gellar before Whedon and Sarah Michelle Gellar after Whedon. It's like looking at two different people. The fact that Alysson Hannigan and Michelle Trachtenberg are still good actresses is nothing short of a miracle.

"Am I the only one who caught the Brush Kalish shout-out? I almost feel bad for Linkara, he's probably seeing explosions in his sleep after watching so much Power Rangers."

But you have to wonder: how much of those explosions are Bruce Kalish, and how much of them are from the original Sentai footage? You can't blame Kalish for the thing Japan does.

Laughing Hyena:

I agree, "Journey to the Center of the Earth" was a butchering of the awesome book. And now, the sequel is set to butcher "The Mysterious Island". Why do they keep messing with the greatness that is Jules Verne!?

"That scene with the birds actually reminds me of one of the deleted scenes from The Terminator, one which I really wish they hadn't deleted with Kyle closely looking at some flowers and finally breaking down for things he never had."

...except this is Robocop's time, which is slave to the social commentary. As such, the tweeting birds are where the beauty ends. Robocop's time is nasty, cruel and violent.

Severen said...

"This might have been said before, but I read somewhere that between making The Dark Knight Strikes Again that 9/11 happened, and that's when Miller REALLY started to lose his mind, I mean, I'm no Miller expert, but was his stuff starting to get crappy before 2001, or did it get crappy after?"

You read that Frank was losing his mind, or that 9/11 happened during the writing of DKSA?

Yes, September 11th happened while he was working on that book. That's why he had to explain that Batman crashing his plane into Luthor's tower had nothing to do with the event.

Also, I hope when all of you talk about Miller "going crazy" or "losing his mind", you're just joking. If you honestly think he's fallen into insanity, I'd like to see some proof. Personally, I think his mental state is just fine, but maybe that's because I like the majority of his works (including Holy Terror).

I'm starting to wonder whether or not you guys have read most of his other works, like Hard Boiled, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, or the Martha Washington Books. All of them are superb works, the latest issue of which was published in 2007.

Jarkes said...

For the record, Bruce Kalish was NOT responsible for the increased use of explosions in Power Rangers. It was actually Koichi Sakamoto, who, as it happens, has worked on every season of Power Rangers since the third season of Mighty Morphin. So, that's one thing Kalish cannot be blamed for. Please make sure you mention that on your next History of Power Rangers.

ChrisX said...

Hey, this is a very nice review. I'm no comic reader, but I do appreciate all the humors you come with. Love the 'Robocop and the dead person' impersonation. The face you make as the dead guy is really funny.

I also really appreciate Power Rangers and although I concentrate in Sentai more (you can see in my blogs), I really enjoy your History of Power Rangers. Perhaps the Kalish season (love the shout out to him in this review) was quite the pain for you to write, but don't worry, take your time and I await your eventual review one day, perhaps there'll be new insight.

Go Go Linkara. In... well, whatever you do!

CaptainCalvinCat said...

@ The Exiled One
“She isn't THAT hot. As for being a good actress, Joss Whedon tends to suck out all the talent from his "stars". Compare Sarah Michelle Gellar before Whedon and Sarah Michelle Gellar after Whedon. It's like looking at two different people. The fact that Alysson Hannigan and Michelle Trachtenberg are still good actresses is nothing short of a miracle.”

She isn’t that BAD, either. Granted, if she would be really good, the movies and shows, where she stars, would not be cancelled after the first or second season (Firefly, T:SCC, The cape), but, he performance is very enjoyable. Or did you talk about physical attractiveness? Then, I have to say, that I think, that she is quite an attractive woman. Take her face, e.g.
The form of it, her eyes… There are certain characteristics, which are quite recognizable.

And sadly, hence television is about objectification per se, that is all we need. We don`t know, how Summer Glau is in real life, I just know, that I felt pity for her in Firefly, for being a young, emotionally-unbalanced woman, and I enjoyed her, seeing kicking ass in T:SCC.

But, I cannot say, if Summer Glau is a nice person or not. So – as a man I can talk about acting talent (which I think she has) or physical attractiveness (when talking about female actors) or if someone can radiate sympathy (which counts for both genders).

The nostalgia chick for example. She is physical attractive, can act and radiates sympathy.
Obscurus Lupa, same thing, as well as Marzgurl or JesuOtaku.
Lewis has acting talent and seems to be very friendly.

But – like I said, that is something we don`t know. We don`t know those people – it might be, that they are in reality … well, not nice. Who knows, but themselves?

But, back to Summer Glau and her performance as Cameron – the fact, that you at first think, that she is really a woman, who then turns out to be a terminatrix, says lot s about her skill.
It is not like – let’s say – Kristanna Loken in T3, where we know from the first second on, that she is a killing-machine from the future.
With Cam, we learn it in the second half of the pilot-movie.
So, she has acting skills and is nicer to look at, than Ahnuld. ^^

Greets

Cal

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

Addressed @All

Robocop versus Terminator is a crap comic book from a time when Frank Miller was on the edge to became a great artist again but this time unleashed from any moral bias or consensus of stupidity.

A time when Frank Miller write allegedly better comics was also a time when people told him and pay him to do what they want him to do instead of him doing whatever he wants and thanks God for Frank keep kicking those bastards in the nuts every time he writes something like Holy Terror because that is Miller tackling the audience instead of allowing the audience or gutless editors to tell him what to do.

Linkara fail to do his part or even worst there is no more Linkara as an independent entity against really bad comics and i will not shake his cock everytime he chooses or not piss over comic books, the masses made a pretty good job on that as well i did sometimes when praising him about when he did an accurate review.

That's not the case right now for Robocop versus Terminator #1, he did a sloppy job or even worst : Linkara let Lewis take the helm and therefore we have Lewis praising Miler when Frank was on a short leash. And i like my Miller unleashed and kick ass with his balls on fire.

And now i realize there is no contradiction from my part if i need to do was has left to be done, the 1992 Miller is not the genius i learn to love and praise in the past 15 to 20 years, that's another guy more young and naive about to have his illusions and expectations crushed by the system, Hollywood in particular.

You pansies are the real cuckoos in a nut shell and the great artist can take all of you as breakfast any day of the week because guys like you people don't realize what comic book are really meant to be, a fun wacky ride where the angels don't dare to do the first step in.

Criticize what and when ever you want but please don't do a crappy job, praising the bad because it looks good don't make the whole thing remotely better.

I stand in defense of Frank Miller because lynching his work is a crime, is punishment without trial and most of the time Atop of this place the trials are full of bias and thanks god for this be a fictional place for trial or else this would be the far west all over again (the real, not the fictional one).

And that's my unfunny self, if you don't liked frakk it because i'm not going any where.

End Credits Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls Of Fire

CaptainCalvinCat said...

Cap’n? Can’t you just say “Well, Linkara reviewed a comic that was good” and call it a day?
No?
Do we really have to go through this?
*sighs*
You… do realize, this is not your webshow?

You pointed it out very in the midths, that you just don`t like this comic. That is okay, everyone has his own opinion – but, tell me, what makes the now-miller so great in your opinion? Is it the blocky artwork or more the “stream-of-consciousness-“writing-technique? Or the repetative rambling?
What exactly makes now-miller to that kinda artis, you say “WOW, he is great”?
Or is it his message? The one about “all women are whores”?

And why is terminator vs. robocop 1 so bad? What is the difference between then-miller and now-miller?
You fail to point that out.

Greets

Cal

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

Dear CaptainCalvinCat

Give me sometime buddy, i can't just deliver any "stream of conscience" at Lewis door like a prom night dumpster baby at the middle of the night or else he will probably give it back to the dumpster.

Before this i write five other versions for the comments section before post that one for the "approval process" and i am pretty sure at least a previous one was rejected and dead on arrival so i will not torture Lewis posting a thousand comments for his appreciation and despair.

I could but i won't, after all i learn from my mistakes.

My own review about Robocrap versus Terminology #01 will come when were ready to be posted and the fancy version will be at my own blog, it's just a matter of "DON'T THROW A BRICK AT OTHER PERSONS WINDOW PLEASE, IS WINTER UP THERE AND PROBABLY SNOWING, please Sake be a good boy and lets the heat working ok ? Nice, very nice."

It's not my webshow but i guess Lewis like to have me around because i am honest, when i like i like, when i don't then frakk off, like i said previously there is enough people around praising him for the sake of be praising and i will do it when he deserved.

Your questions will be answered in time and when the replies get ready for disclosure, let's just give to Lewis a little break.

Initial End Credits "Weird Al" Yankovic - Spy Hard followed by Tom Jones - Thunderball (Frank Miller's elected theme song) and the teaser for Citizen Miller Corps The Fall of DCency

Final End Credits Green Lantern - First Flight Theme Remixed and used as Citizen Miller Corps theme song

Lewis Lovhaug said...

"It's not my webshow but i guess Lewis like to have me around because i am honest, when i like i like, when i don't then frakk off, like i said previously there is enough people around praising him for the sake of be praising and i will do it when he deserved."

Actually it's because I'm a proponent of free speech and free expression, even if that speech and expression differs from my own opinion.

And if you wish to reply with your reasoning why you like Frank Miller, you may proceed, but I once again warn you to KNOCK IT OFF with insults directed at others. I've warned you about this before and I'm tired of telling you to knock it off.

And while I am a proponent of free speech, this blog is still MY space to control as I see fit, so I'm going to tell you this right now: you have said before that you were "going on a break" from posting, yet you did nothing of the sort. I've asked you before not to make any fanfic-y posts or just rambling that has nothing to do with matters at hand... and you persisted (and as per my own statement, I deleted them instead of allowing them through).

You have ignored my warnings in the past and I have been exemplary in my patience. And as such, no, you may not respond to this statement with an excuse or an explanation. Make no response to this part of the comments whatsoever. This is me making my position clear. I've let several of your comments through for the last few weeks because you've been behaving on most posts and keeping it strictly related to the topic at hand, even if it HAS been posts by you stating you dislike my output.

I would remind you, however, BE RESPECTFUL or I will simply cease letting ANY of your posts through. And that goes for everybody. I know other posters have problems with Sake, just as I do, but don't be insulting - just ignore him if you have a problem with him.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

I may not, i can but is probably better i "may not" reply with an apology or an explanation.

Can i do it with a parody ?

Because you stimulate free speech and allowed freedom of expression outside here but only engage with that statement on your blog when and if people behave themselves, and since my comments had been approved therefore "I AM BEHAVING" so thank you for acknowledge that.

I should be a lawyer.

And the "make no response to this part of the comments whatsoever" is what makes me really confused, you stand for free speech and freedom of expression but i can't do that here in any way, shape or form because since you own this place and i am behaving my self that makes you pissed off for some reason, after all have a different opinion than your own is not really what is annoying you.

The problem is my lack of multiple posts, my moderated behavior, my used of meaningless words like frakk or hack, my double talk and indirect addressed prose and my persistence to keep fighting against the cybermen.

add Cybermen montage here shouting : "DELETE,DELETE,DELETE..."

You give yourself away Sir, like i have deduce before you are not Linkara - your behavior is completely out of character - but now i see : You are not Lewis Lovhaug either, he would never be engaging on such repetitive behavior - he is more smart than that - and what really expose yourself was that contradictive statement : "YOU ARE ALLOWED FREE SPEECH AND FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION HERE BUT ONLY WHEN YOU BEHAVE YOURSELF SO MAKE NO RESPONSE TO THIS PART OF THE COMMENTS WHATSOEVER OR ELSE I WILL DELETED", the real Lewis Lovhaug would never contradict himself so easily so this can be only the kind of speech coming from a twisted evil machine like "MECHAKARA!!!" - Dumm-Dummm-DUMMM!!! add surprise as well fear and loathing here.

Speechless ? I see, your mannerism give yourself away exactly like your cousin S.O.P.A. but don't worry, we are gonna deal with that it later, so since you don't fight, you kill humans in a very machinery way, it's time for me to run and lock for cover... (running)...while i shoot this plasma rifle ...(gaining some space)....in your face at very long distance...(far away and shoting)... (whispers loudly to himself after take a deep breath) WHAT A HACK! ...fire at will and cut.

...TO BE CONTINUED...if allowed anyway, i'm never sure

END CREDITS The 11th Doctor's theme song

P.S.: Okay, sometimes i tease you too Sir and now that we made our beds can we follow the next logical step please ?

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

Okay, let's face it Lewis : Apparently you can't deal with free speech and freedom of expression and also you can't be a proponent of free speech and freedom of expression when you are actually applying censorship on your own blog and that practice was already clearly exposed by yourself previously.

Defender of the faith, paragon of christian faith and arthurian legend my ass Sir, you are officially an uptight self proclaimed righteousness hypocrite pretending to be a professional critic, you are an amateur Mister just like me.

This message will not self destruct it self unless you delete it but obnoxious douchebagery is my job, not yours.

Your job was supposed to be inspiring people to be creative, productive, self-conscious and aware about the many evils of this world but i guess you can do that when you waste so much time reading and having to approve or not anything posted in the comments section.

My message for you is this : "MISTER LOVHAUG, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"

Lewis Lovhaug said...

I let both of those comments through so I can address this and explain myself as plainly as I can.

Here's the thing about free speech and free expression: just because you should be ALLOWED to say or do whatever you want in the name of freedom does not mean that is actually the case. After all, we still have rules of common courtesy, appropriate behavior, ad not conducting in expression that is harmful, insulting, or demeaning. There are still rules of decorum and appropriate time and place.

After all, by the same token, I should let spambots have their advertisements get through on the blog in the name of "free speech" and "free expression." When I say I am a proponent of these things, it means I'm not going to chastise people for holding different opinions about a subject, be it a comic I'm reviewing, a movie that I like or dislike, or just my show in general. To that effect, people may post dissenting opinions and I will let them through. And there are plenty of occasions where you can look at the blog and see those dissenting opinions.

You yourself have recently been posting insulting remarks about me and my show and I have let them through. But let me be clear: one does not take an axe and cleave at another person's door wothout permission and then say that it's an artistic piece about bringing down the oppressive establishment. They cannot hide behind freedom of speech or freedom of expression and the same can be said here.

You are in *MY* space, Sake. You are posting in an environment that generally disagrees with you and your posting methods, so do not be surprised when we turn right around and express ourselves in turn about how we dislike that method. And like spambots and solicitors, I will remove or disapprove of posts that have nothing to do with the topic at hand, like your posts in the pasts that are in a pseudo-fanfic style.

There's another poster around here named Jeremy Patterson. I have no idea what's wrong with him, but in the past he has continually made spam posts trying to promote completely off-topic matters, linking to television schedules for half-baked channels or documentaries or news articles only BARELY tangentially related to matters at hand. In the last two days, he has repeated the SAME one on five separate posts. I did not approve four of them because I'm not going to let people take a crap in my space and then expect me to thank them for it.

Now then, I have explained myself. If that's not good enough for you, then fine. But I have said my piece on more than one occasion and that should be good enough at this time.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

for Lewis

I think this could be a lot easier if you just allowed everything in instead of read everything and give or not give your approval for every text to be posted here.

Honestly in my opinion i don't believe you have the need to waste your time and read everything that somebody try to post in the comments section, people will get your attention when they deserved and have something that is worth it for you to reply and you barely give any reply for more than three or four posters anyway.

At this point i didn't expected you to approve, post and answer my comments because as usually happens, and my last comment was really provocative on that matter, i get on your nerves again.

The same speech about knock off things, if it's annoying you why did you approved and if you approved why did you complained about it ?

And the "Make no response to this part of the comments whatsoever" ???

Come on man, did you really expected i didn't tried something like a parody since you suggested i didn't try to apologize or explain my self ? The Mechakara move was a good way out on my opinion and really that review was a little bit out of character, only a toaster could really toasting a comic book about a bunch of walk-talking toasters beating the crap out of each other.

I will not apologize because you clearly tell me to not to do but i still have the need to explain my self so please don't talk like a toaster, i only made the Reagan citation because i was really pissed off, you get on my nerves this time.

Don't like it, don't read it, if you read and don't like it then don't approve and posted because when you complain about that later you give me a really mixed message.

Stop wasting your time having the need to approve every message that comes in, it's just a suggestion anyway, spambots, stalkers, trolls and douches in general can't accomplished anything from really concerned readers and fans, the comments section is the bottom of the line for them because big budget internet stars have forums and paid moderators to deal with them (i never received hate mail or even comments on my own blog, can you see how non-important and nobody i am for everybody here ? i guess even the occasional poster telling me to shut up is you in disguises, go figured).

I really hope someday your blog graduate into some sort of Spoony level site and you have a real forum with real police on it but please act as your own police officer moderator here is clear a waste of your time and talent.

Give a try and see how the flow goes if you stop acting like a transit officer, what the worst thing that can happen ? You had the need to turn on the traffic lights again ? It's just a polite suggestion, the kind one you will probably ignored but was worth the shot.

You could just delete everything and ignored my statements but like i said before you are a not a hack, you are not an obnoxious douche, you are a real honest man, the kind of man that will never ignored important matters without addressed them and find some closure and that makes me proud to see you becoming an mature guy, if there is any statement i must retracted about what i said is this :

"You are a professional Sir and us the real amateurs still have a lot to learn from you despite your age at any time".

And yet i still have a self-inflicted review to do and a few issues left to be explained for CaptainCalvinCat but that's a comment for another time later in the future.

Let's settle this down for now and take a break... for a really big easily measured amount of time this time...again.

End Credits Doctor Who Series 4 Soundtrack - 24 A Pressing Need to Save the World (really hard to choose, BBC National Orchestra of Wales really rocks all possible options)

See you !

CaptainCalvinCat said...

Captain Sake, If I might offer some insight here…
You wrote: “Because you stimulate free speech and allowed freedom of expression outside here but only engage with that statement on your blog when and if people behave themselves, and since my comments had been approved therefore "I AM BEHAVING" so thank you for acknowledge that”

Free speech of course, but always to a certain degree.
In every democracy it is this way – we have the freedom of speech and freedom of the press etc. but when those rights are misused, say by journalists of the press, who are following a princess on motorbikes causing her car to crash and her to die, things must be re-evaluated. Are those things to be allowed or not?
Of course, on the one hand you might say: “Surely, they are allowed, because of freedom of the press – we are entitled to do, whatever we have to do, to get this story.”
And they are right to some point.

With you, there is another problem.
Frankly, I don’t know, why Linkara is approving your comments – I think, either he is annoyed, and hopes you are shutting the hell up, or you do have some valid reasons.


You wrote:
“Honestly in my opinion i don't believe you have the need to waste your time and read everything that somebody try to post in the comments section, people will get your attention when they deserved and have something that is worth it for you to reply and you barely give any reply for more than three or four posters anyway.”

Oh, I beg to differ there. There are a lot of awkward people out there, plus spam-bots etc. So – the comment-section must be controlled.
Like I said, freedom of speech – to a certain degree.

You wrote:
“ Stop wasting your time having the need to approve every message that comes in, it's just a suggestion anyway, spambots, stalkers, trolls and douches in general can't accomplished …”


It is not a waist of time, because its maintaining a certain order in that commentaries – an order, that is definitely necessary, and I tell you, why.
Because, when every troll, spambot, stalker and douche posts his oppinion, one can really easily get side-tracked, and that is problematic, if you want to maintain a straight line of comments and thoughts.

wEREwOLF said...

Hey Linkara read this on IGN and was wondering what your opinion on it was http://comics.ign.com/articles/121/1216485p1.html

Also sorry if we are not suppose to post this stuff here, I just don't know where to send them.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

Dear CaptainCalvinCat

No comments coming from me at least until next friday, no exceptions, sorry pal.

Interlude Credits Monty Python Intermission Extended

Coming Next Countdown to Final Pollo, A Gay Romp between some famous toasters

Taylor Martin said...

@ Captain Sake

Just because you CAN say something, doesn't mean you SHOULD ay something! that mouth of yours is going to get you into trouble someday. Quit posting while you still can, before omething real bad happens to you.

"If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all"- Thumper. From Bambi, 1942.

Robert said...

I think the reason so many people had guns is to portray how crime ridden and dangerous Detroit is in the Robocop films. I agree with others that it makes sense that we don't know the woman's name. It's not very important no one (but Skynet) knows her and it doesn't care what her name is.

The Exiled One said...

"I think the reason so many people had guns is to portray how crime ridden and dangerous Detroit is in the Robocop films. I agree with others that it makes sense that we don't know the woman's name. It's not very important no one (but Skynet) knows her and it doesn't care what her name is."

We DO know her name!

Her is Flo! FLO! FLOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Just because it isn't stated in the comics doesn't mean we don't know it!

Anonymous said...

Hey , first time Walt Simonson gets a mention on the show . This is great ! I really like what I read from his Thor run ( Beta Ray Bill , living weapon & dead horse faced symbol of hope for his people ! God I love that guy !)
My favourite Walt Simonson piece is "X-factor 25"'s cover !
Also his wife Louise Simonson is one of my 4 x-men gods for creating these 2 fine gentlemen

http://devilkais.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=24#/d41wvdb

http://devilkais.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d4jocj8

(although the latter, his brother, his talkative muderous BFF , the Cajun thief & the macchiavellian british geneticist are Nicieza's babies more or less )

And making this possible http://devilkais.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d4l751k

Onto the review, I owe one thing to Frank's ASBAR: the laughter !
Anytime I talk to someone about this we end up laughing !
Crazy Steve for me is kind of like Batmorrison. The only difference is that the first one is some mofo that makes me laugh out loud because of how much of a psychotic prick he is , the second one is a junkie who really makes me grind my teeth & makes me wonder if Joker wasn't being right this whole time (speaking of Morrison 's Joker try spotting him here http://devilkais.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4dbsfd ). It's a bad comic yes ... but it generated sentences like "DAMN YOU & YOUR LEMONADE !" ( This one should be used more often , I dunno what Frank smokes , but I wanna try !)

SOOO... Next time is Identity Crisis ehh ? Alright, I am feeling all entingled ! isn't that delightful ! By the way I hope you're ready to console Dr Light, he's kind of depressed & has been eating glue since that story ruined his career...


Cheers pal & keep the good work going , it's awesome !

Saidi

vanguard117 said...

Given Sky.net's origins is as a .U.S. army R&D computer programme Neutro's genocide of the military suddenly makes sense.

There's your crossover right there! All thats required are minor changes to the Terminator and Neutro overall stories:
1.Neutro is discovered by the .U.S. military and is reverse engineered by Cyberdyne Systems then later Cyber Research Systems to create the T-1's.
2.Sky.net is the intelligent .A.I. programme purposely planted in Neutro's hardware for humanity to find and modify/use to cause and co-ordinate the global genocide so it's alien creators can colonise Earth without resistance.

The Exiled One said...

It's "SKYNET", not "Sky.net".

The Terminator movies were made BEFORE the advent of the internet.

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

@Taylor Martin

quoting : "Quit posting while you still can, before something real bad happens to you."

And that's so funny because is meaningless but the cute part was the frakking Bambi quotation.

Seriously what are your intentions ? Wishful thinking through a very long distance ? Grown up.

Everybody knows the Spoonyone's fans are the really dangerous ones.

And quoting Q : "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

And after a few talks with my preacher i am back i a new suit.

End Credits AC/DC-Back in Black

Capt. Sake "Hancock" Mangusto said...

And Thank you Lewis for renewed my faith on the due process despite the fact i am an atheist.

Cheers Pal, have a happy SCI FriDay!

This Friday Drink Song : AC DC - Who Made Who

wayne moises said...

They are two metallic warriors of the 1980's inspired from 1984 blockbuster versus a vigilante cop from Detroit Michigan lock on battle for supremacy who will win and who will decide to fight at Ford Field to compete the showdown of two robots since Thrilla in Manila Wrestlemania Super Bowl World Series and NBA Finals combined in a crossover match in a power struggle for the fight and who will win you decide on round #2 soon.thsnks for the information for your comments in your opinion .from:Wayne

Felix Brunschede said...

So... the comic takes place in Florida, what with the people not reacting to the naked crazy woman?